Keweenaw Bay Indian Community
The Keweenaw Bay Indian Community of the Lake Superior Band of Chippewa Indians is located approximately 65 miles north of Marquette, Michigan in the L’Anse/Baraga Michigan area and has dual land bases on both sides of the Keweenaw Bay Peninsula in Baraga County. Their service area includes within the boundaries of the reservation in Baraga County, as well as members Ontonagon, Gogebic, Marquette, Houghton and Keweenaw Counties. The L’Anse Reservation is both the oldest and the largest reservation in Michigan. It was established under the treaty of 1854. Keweenaw Bay is one of the four original member tribes in Michigan that founded the Inter-Tribal Council of Michigan, Inc. in 1966 and remain a most vital member ever since. Their constitution, by-laws and corporate charter were adopted on November 7, 1836 pursuant to the terms of the 1934 Indian Reorganization Act that established tribal governments as we know them today.