HAVE YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO HELP YOUR COMMUNITY?
Do you care about important issues such as breastfeeding, children’s reading skills, and parenting support? If so, we encourage you to apply for an exciting opportunity to make a difference in your community by joining our Asabike Coalition Parent Initiative. Asabike Coalition is a group of people who work to improve the lives of Native American families just like yours.
- All expenses paid travel with a breastfeeding and child-friendly environment;
- Connect with parents like you who care about improving their community;
- Opportunity to speak to local and state leaders about issues you care about;
- Earn a letter of recommendation and valuable leadership experience that you can use for future job opportunities or college applications.
- Parent or primary caregiver of a Native American baby or toddler up to the age of two years old;
- Eligible for services at your local tribal clinic or County Health Department;
- Current or former tribal home visiting participant preferred (for example, Family Spirit, Healthy Start, or MIHP);
- 18 years of age or older with valid Michigan driver’s license and access to a vehicle to travel to two meetings per year (see below for more information).
- Commit to provide your input on a one-year project from April 2018-March 2019;
- Participate in two in-person meetings per year, each with an overnight stay if applicable;
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI – April 17th, 2018
- Lansing, MI – August 1st, 2018
- Attend 4 phone meetings over the course of the year (one hour each during normal working hours);
- With the help of your local tribe and others in your community, create a project that will help parents and children in your community. For example: help start a breastfeeding support group, playgroup, or children’s book exchange.
HOW TO APPLY
- Deadline to apply: Friday March 23rd, 2018 by 12:00PM NOON Up to two people from each tribal community will be selected by members of the Asabike Coalition. Applicants will be chosen based upon availability to participate and strength of your application. You will be notified of whether or not you have been selected by April 2nd, 2018 to give you time to prepare your travel to Sault Ste. Marie, MI on April 17th, 2018.
- There will be an informational webinar for selected participants on Friday April 6th, 2018. A registration link will be sent to your email. You will need computer and internet access to watch the webinar.
- Complete an online application at this address: https://goo.gl/forms/VmswGhjgSC7L0FM73
Resources and further information to come.